HISTORY OF POLE CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH
A revival was held at Sodom (a building on Sodom Mountain), and some 20-25 were saved and baptized. It was decided that the community needed a church. Pole Creek was organized on September 30, 1916.
The Presbytery and committees were as follows:
Presbytery Elders: J. D. Colley, chairman
Names of Committeess: Hominy: H.H. Morgan; T.F. Hall
Liberty: L.C. Holcombe; J.C. Robinson
Zion Hill: Burton Clark
Charter Membership: From Liberty Church
Ervin Boyd Lizzie Boyd
J.M. Norris Mrs. Joe Norris
Robert Harris Gertrude Trull Harris
Joe Henson Ethel Henson
W.A. Shope Mrs W.A. Shope
T.V. Shope Jennie Shope
Agnes Brooks Ada Shope Robinson
Destie Norris Novie Norris Fletcher
Ellen Fore Laura Brown
W.H. Harris R.J. Hutchinson
The first ones to join the newly organized church by letter were:
W.T. McFalls T.F. Hall Sallie Hall
L.M. Clark and Eliza Clark also were members but it does not state how they joined.
Soon after completion a revival was held by Rev. W.T. McFalls. Twenty or more were saved and baptized.
Among them were:
Ethel Trull McFalls Nellie Shope Cathey Baldwin
Leila Shope Trull Pless Kenneth Shope
Shirley Roberson McElrath Georgia McFee McCadden
Hester McFee Swain Ola McFee Brown
Ethel Rash McFee Lela Rash McCall
Alton Hall John Hall
The first church building was located at the intersection of Milksick Cove, Pole Creek and Cathey Roads. It was a one room wood building heated by a potbelly stove. The pulpit area was raised. The wall area was built in a bay effect with two windows. The pews were long slatted benches. To the left side of the pulpit was a two bench "amen" corner.
The second building was located beside the first one and built on February 28, 1947. The concrete block basement was divided into Sunday School rooms. The rest of the building was of wood with asbestos siding. It was heated by a coal furnace and the pews were wood theater-type seats.
Pictured is the ground-breaking for the present church building. Left to right - Thurman Brown, Rev. Bryce Wright, Harrison Hall, Vance Pressley, Rev. G.W. Jameson, Floyd McElrath, Lawrence Massie, Varnell "Cotton" Mehaffey, Jim G. Hutchison, Glenn Stamey, Howard Harris, Ada Shope Robinson, Byrd Metcalf, R.P. Phillips Jr., Grover McElrath, Lloyd McCall, Nathan Plemmons, Manuel Harris, Joe Brown, Mrs. Nathan Plemmons, Wendell Gevedon and Vaudie Robinson. Many of these have gone on to glory.
Located across the road from the origional site, the third building was built April 10, 1961. It is a brick building and was heated by an oil furnace. Additional Sunday School rooms were added in 1971. This Educational building was three floors. A fellowship hall and kitchen were located on the bottom floor.
Under the blessings of God, Pole Creek experienced phenomenal growth, and in 1981 ground was broken to signal the beginning of construction which would double the size of the auditorium. The first service was held in this new edifice on January 3, 1982. Pole Creek has continued to see many new members added by professions of faith and baptism; also, by letter and statement.
Built in 2000, the Family Life Center is not just for entertainment, but is used as a tool to reach out to all ages of the neighborhood. We thank God for blessing us with such a wonderful facility to evangelize and embrace the community.
Ground was broken for our new Fellowship Hall-Education Building on September 12, 1999 and it was dedicated on April 1, 2001. Pole Creek continues to reach people for Christ and to strengthen and expand its ministries for the cause of Christ. May the blessings of God rest upon this church as we seek to carry out our commission.